Upcoming events and workshops…
Wed May 16: Dusk Chorus
- 8:00 pm – 9:30 pm: Barclay Manor Join us as we move through the neighbourhood listening to the last bird songs of the day. A knowledgeable bird enthusiast will join us and tell us who we’re hearing, and what they might be saying. Meet outside Barclay Manor (north parking lot). Minors must be accompanied by a parent or guardian. Register here (free)
Thurs May 17: Avian Encounters – Open Mic Night
- 7 – 8 pm: Barclay Manor / Come and share your bird stories, songs, and poems from the hummingbird that adopted your garden even though you’re on the 18th floor, to the ducks nesting in your shrubbery and the crows that dive bomb you. It
seems everyone has had some kind of interesting encounter with a bird neighbour. Register here (free)
Stay tuned for …
- Neighbourhood bird walks and mapping: who’s who and where?
- Bird puppet-making workshops
- Bird song chorale
Past events and workshops…
Wed Feb 28: Meet & Tweet!
Come and meet your Birds in Residence, the new artists in residence for Coal Harbour Community Centre, West End Community Centre, and Barclay Manor! We’ll share our ideas for the 2018 Artist in Communities project, find out what birds you’re seeing and hearing around the neighbourhood, and make some simple bird art together. All ages welcome!
- 11 am – 1 pm: Coal Harbour Community Centre – main lobby
- 3:30 pm – 5:30 pm: West End Community Centre – main lobby
Sat April 28: Bird discovery walks and habitat mapping
- 10 am – 12 pm: City Nature Challenge: Birding Bonanza / Stanley Park Nature House We’ll join the Stanley Park Ecology Society for a 2-hour walk to spot, snap, and submit bird sightings to help Vancouver win the top spot of most nature-loving city in the world. Citizen scientists of all levels are welcome! Be sure to bring your smart phone with a camera and the iNaturalist app installed. More details…
- 1 – 3:30 pm: Bird Discovery Walk and Habitat Mapping / West End Community Centre (Main entrance) Join your Birds in Residence and the Stanley Park Ecology Society for a walk around the neighbourhood to discover what our streets and buildings look like from a bird’s eye view. Where do different species of birds hang out, nest and feed? After our walk, we’ll return to the West End Community Centre to map out our discoveries. Register here (free)
Sun April 29: Bird Chorale
- 2 – 4 pm: Coal Harbour CC – Multipurpose Room “ Sing like a bird!” Join this fun experiment singing bird songs artfully arranged – including a composition by Veda Hille* and a Dawn to Dusk chorus being developed by ecologists at Stanley Park. Morning songs, evening songs, songs of warning and songs of love. No experience required. All Ages welcome.
- Register here (free)
- People who enjoy the bird song chorale are invited to sing at the Hollow Tree on Sunday May 27 from 1 – 1:30 as part of the Big Tree Weekend
*“I feel I should include two love songs” by Veda Hille was commissioned by Savage Media for the SongBird project’s SongBird Oratorio
Sat May 5: Migratory Bird Puppets @ Art in the City
- 12 – 4 pm: Auditorium, West End Community Centre / Make a paper mâché portrait of a bird that has been seen in the West End, and learn its song. This is a simple and fast technique for creating a basic bird shape with newspaper, masking tape, tissue paper, and white glue. The workshop will end with a small migratory parade around the auditorium. This workshop takes place during the annual Art in the City event, the West End’s largest art market. Register here (free)
Sun May 6: Dawn Chorus
- 5 am – 8 am: Coal Harbour Community Centre (meet at main entrance) / Get up really early (or don’t bother going to bed) and join us for ‘International Dawn Chorus Day’ as we move through the neighbourhood listening to the first songs of the day. A knowledgeable bird enthusiast will join us and tell us who we’re hearing, and what they might be saying. Meet outside Coal Harbour CC Broughton Street entrance; the Centre will not be open during this time. Register here (free)